Every time I feel a niggle at the back of my throat or I start to feel those sinuses getting congested I turn to Chilli!
It started out as just a pure craving! The funny thing is I only ever crave Chilli when my immune system seems to be on the down side..... I don't question it, I just go out and buy some fresh chilli's, throw them in my blender and mix with olive oil.
That BURN is incredible, and boy does it work it's magic! Within minutes I start to feel better and within an hour or two whatever symptoms I had are pretty much gone!!
But What is it about Chilli that does that?? Well I've decided to research this and here you have it..Chilli is Dynamit! And this is why we should all add it to our diet.
Putting it simply Chilli is a SUPER FOOD! It is a fruit of plant belonging to Capsicum genus. Capsicum is derived from the Greek word "Kapsimo" meaning "to bite."
Chilli is a great source of Antioxidants and Vitamins A, B, C and E with minerals such as copper, thiamin, potassium, folate,molybdenum and manganese. Chilli Contains SEVEN Times more Vitamin C than an orange!
It is a natural antibiotic (Well now that makes a lot of sense) Since 1498 when Chilli's were introduced to India, they have been included in the Ayurvedic medicines and have been used as tonic to ward off many diseases.
Chilli's not only help clear out the lungs and stimulate the digestive system, they also fantastic for slimming down as they help burn Calories easily!!!
Now this is my kind of power food!
In summary here are some of the benefits of Chilli.
• Detoxicants: Chilli acts as a detoxifier, it removes waste products from our body and increases supply nutrients to the tissues. It also acts as gastrointestinal detoxicants helping in the digestion of food.
• Antibiotic: Chillies brings fresh blood to the site of the infection. The fresh blood fights the infection meaning the white blood cells and leukocytes present in the fresh blood fights the viruses.
• Pain killer: Chillies stimulates the release of endorphins that are natural pain killers. It relieves pain caused due to shingles (Herpes Zoster), bursitis, diabetic neuropathy, muscle spasm in shoulders, arthritic pains and extremities.
• Cancer: It has been noted that vitamin C, beta-carotene and folic acid found in chilli reduces the risk of colon cancer. Chillies such as red pepper have cartonoid lycopene, which prevents cancer disease.
• Brain: Capsaicin stimulates the brain to excrete endorphins and gives a sense of pleasure when ingested. This is the reason people get addicted to chilli!
• Lung disease : Chillies gives relief from nasal congestion by increasing the metabolism. It also dilates airway of lungs which reduces asthma and wheezing.
• Capsaicin : Chillies have vitamin C and Vitamin A containing beta-carotenoids which are powerful antioxidant. These antioxidants destroy free radical bodies that may cause damage within our bodies. The antioxidants present in the chilli wipe out the radical bodies that could build up cholesterol causing major heart diseases.
References:Phyllis A.Balch (2006). Prescription for Nutritional Healing Fourth Edition. New York. Penguin Group USA; Chilly.in